blog.dk.sg now!!!" />

« Home | Ping.sg economic » | Short and sweet » | The Corrs feat. Bono - Dancing when the stars go blue » | What was he thinking? » | Which company are you from? » | We are still ISO certified » | the LITTLE red book » | Nexus 2007 » | Chio bu reading crappy blog » | NEXUS 07 »

Final Year Project

I still remember 7 years ago while doing my final year project in Poly. The topic was simple, do anything you want. We have 1 year to do the FYP and each student is assigned to a tutor. And I was unlucky to be under the charge of her.

I still remember the first meeting we had. I went in fully prepared. I already got idea of what to do and I told her my plans in detail. I wanted to write a graphical user interface for user to write code in COBOL and invoke a DOS compiler to compile the file. In short, I wanted to do a COBOL IDE.

She wasn't very approving of my project, not because it is no good or out of scope. But because she herself has a project on hand that she wish I could do. She has a project to do a online photo album using JAVA.

I didn't quite like it. There seems nothing much to do except uploading and downloading photos. That was the year 2000. Blogging is still a new term which is unheard of for most of us. If I was given the same project again now, I would take it and do something like Flickr. But at that time, I couldn't envision the prospect of a online photo album.

I should have accepted her project and score points by listening to her. But I insist on doing the project I wanted. Her project seem easy and nothing much to demostrate my skills. She told me to go back and think about it. I agreed to go back and think about it reluctantly. I knew she won't take a no easily.

That was our first meeting.

We met again several weeks later. I told her that I'm not interested in doing her project. I wanted to do the project that I have in mind. She was angry and we quarrel in the meeting. The meeting ended rather fast as there is nothing much to say.

So I went on and do my project on my own. Unlike my friends who could often consult their tutors, I knew that I'm on my own. I don't really mind actually.

I didn't meet my tutor after the 2nd meeting until she emailed me around 1 month before the FYP submission date. Left with no choice, I bring my nearly completed work to meet her. I briefly showed her my progress. She didn't seem interested. I wonder why did she want to meet in the first place.

The last time we met was on the project demo day itself. We have to demostrate and exsplain our project to our tutor and a second marker. Most tutors would help their student explain the project to the 2nd marker too as they also know quite a lot about the project. But mine didn't. Or rather, she can't help because it was her 2nd time seeing my work.

As a whole, the FYP was an unpleasant one. Maybe I was too stubborn. If I took up her project, all these things wouldn't happen.

--------------

I'm currently doing my project module for my part time degree course. Somehow, memories of that FYP keep coming back. I hope things won't end up as bad as the FYP.

So nostalgic.. :) I hope you scored well back then! But I'm eager to know who is your supervisor then.. haha :P

Anyway.. just move on ahead and good luck in your project. Your memories of FYP might be a "signal", telling you not to do the same thing as you did last time. :)

how did you score for e project?

Poor boy...

Surreal: Can't really remember her name already. haha

tstar: I got a B

evolna: Ya lor. :(

Post a Comment
My Photo

About me

Twitter

    Connecting to Twitter....


    Connecting to Twitter....


    Connecting to Twitter....


http://twitter.com/dk

MyBlogLog

Powered by Blogger


Blogger Templates

eXTReMe Tracker